The musculoskeletal oncology specialists at the Orthopaedic Institute of North Shore-LIJ Health System on Long Island, NY, are dedicated to treating bone and soft tissue tumors and other musculoskeletal system malignancies. Backed by cutting-edge musculoskeletal oncology research, our doctors treat the most challenging malignancies of the musculoskeletal system and are pioneering the latest limb-salvaging techniques.
World-Class Orthopaedic Oncology Care
Our musculoskeletal oncology doctors have advanced subspecialty training in bone and soft tissue tumors and other malignancies of the musculoskeletal system, and years of experience in this field.
We have a dedicated group of surgeons working alongside highly specialized diagnostic radiologists, radiation oncologists and pathologists to accurately diagnose and treat malignancies of the musculoskeletal system. We also have a wide range of technology available, utilized by a skilled team of specialists. Using X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, bone scans and other techniques, our radiologists can accurately diagnose cancer, and our pathologists can further examine tumor samples to determine what type they are. Our surgeons are also highly trained in performing biopsies and removing tumors.
Advanced Surgical Solutions for Musculoskeletal Oncology
There has been a great deal of progress made in surgical treatment for tumors of the bone and connective tissue, in addition to non-surgical treatment advancements. Advances in these areas have made long-term survival with all limbs intact the expected outcome for so many patients today:
- Tumor excision
- Radiation therapy
- Reconstructive surgery
An Innovative Approach to Treating Bone Tumors
- A multidisciplinary team – We bring together musculoskeletal oncology doctors (both adult and pediatric), experienced surgeons, pathologists, radiologists and radiation oncologists, all with specialized training in bone and soft tissue tumors, to care for you.
- New, nonsurgical approaches – Novel approaches to brachytherapy, image-guided radiation therapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy and radioimmunotherapy are offering very encouraging results for patients.
The Rehabilitation Network of the North Shore-LIJ Health System is dedicated to providing you and your family with result-oriented, comprehensive rehabilitation services. Our goal is to help you and your loved ones find relief from pain and get moving again after an accident, illness, injury or surgery. We’re your partner in a safe, healthy, more rapid recovery.
Your Rehabilitation Care — Tailored for Success
Cancer rehabilitation is a physician-supervised program tailored individually to each patient’s needs. Our rehabilitation team will work with you to design a treatment program and set goals that fit specifically to your needs — all supervised by your physiatrist.
Our Rehabilitation Team
- Physiatrists are experts in the care of all forms of physical disability and lead the rehabilitation team.
- Physical therapists are dedicated to working with you to improve your ability to walk, get in and out of bed, improve your balance and increase your strength.
- Occupational therapists help you maximize your independence with activities such as dressing, bathing, grooming and eating.
- Registered dieticians (nutritionists) access and provide your nutritional needs.
- Social workers/care managers help you identify and obtain resources in the community as well as providing supportive counseling.
The goal of the Rehabilitation Network of North Shore-LIJ Health System is to help you find pain relief and get moving again after an accident, illness, injury or surgery. We’re your partner in a safe, healthy, more rapid recovery.