Our hand and wrist specialists at the Orthopaedic Institute of North Shore-LIJ Health System provide a host of comprehensive medical services and procedures for children and adults suffering from bone and soft-tissue conditions of the hands and upper extremities.
With a network of convenient locations, the Orthopaedic Institute serves a geographic area of over 7 million people in Long Island, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island. Our highly trained hand and wrist surgeons perform thousands of inpatient and outpatient procedures on the hand and wrist annually.
Supported by the vast resources of North Shore-LIJ Health System, our orthopaedic hand and wrist doctors work at the leading edge of technological innovation in the treatment of diseases and disorders of the hand and wrist. Our board-certified surgeons bring the most promising orthopaedic procedures to the operating room every day, backed by our own extensive research studies. Our orthopaedic research scientists and practitioners are constantly shedding new light and offering new hope for patients.
World-Class Orthopaedic Care
Our board-certified hand and wrist surgeons have advanced subspecialty training in the conditions that affect the hand and wrist. They have the full dedicated support of an orthopaedic "best of class" team of anesthesiologists, nurses, radiologists and rehabilitation specialists who collaborate to provide state-of-the-art orthopaedic care for the hand and wrist. Together, they have all the resources to provide the most successful treatments and outcomes.
Advanced Surgical Solutions
The skilled hand and wrist surgeons at the Orthopaedic Institute perform a wide variety of hand and wrist procedures using the most advanced surgical solutions.
- Basal joint reconstruction – a common procedure with long-lasting results, basal joint surgery removes the arthritis in the basal joint of the thumb and is very effective in eliminating the pain. This is a surgical treatment for basal joint arthritis.
- Carpal tunnel release – a surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome. The surgery has a high success rate and most patients experience full recovery within a month after the procedure.
- Cubital tunnel release – a procedure that alleviates the symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome, a condition that occurs when the ulnar nerve in your elbow is pinched in one of several locations.
- Dupuytren's release – a surgical treatment for Dupuytren's disease that allows for improved movement of the tendons affected by the disease and increases finger mobility.
Programs Related to Hand and Wrist Orthopaedic Services
- Outpatient Physical Therapy – Hand therapy, including custom splinting, is offered at:
STARS Sports Therapy & Rehabilitation Services
East Meadow: (516) 393-8900
Roslyn Heights: (516) 621-1170
Manhasset: (516) 627-8470
Forest Hills: (718) 925-6212
Great Neck: (516) 325-7107
- Physiatry Services Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Conditions such as carpel tunnel and other hand injuries often require Electrodiagnostic (Nerve) Testing, also known as EMG’s. For more information, visit Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Rheumatology Services
Staffed by rheumatologists, specialists in the treatment of arthritis and autoimmune diseases, Rheumatology Services offers consultative services and subspecialty rheumatology services.
For more information, visit Rheumatology Services.
The goal of the Rehabilitation Network of North Shore-LIJ Health System is to help you find pain relief and get moving again after an accident, illness, injury or surgery. We’re your partner in a safe, healthy, more rapid recovery.