Bay Shore, New York 11706
Bay Shore, New York 11706
Welcome to Orthopaedics at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, New York. Our department is part of an extensive network of world-class orthopaedic resources available through the Orthopaedic Institute at North Shore-LIJ Health System. Our orthopaedic physicians offer unparalleled expertise in general orthopaedic surgery as well as highly specialized surgical procedures. A collaborative care approach, built on developing and maintaining a strong relationship with your referring physician, is a critical part of our ability to provide patient treatment strategies for the best possible outcomes.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach
Orthopaedics at Southside Hospital is truly a team effort with the most accomplished medical professionals from across Long Island and New York City working together. Our mission is to provide the highest quality patient care by using state-of-the art technology in a compassionate, supportive atmosphere. Our physicians have unparalleled knowledge and skills in their particular areas of specialization. Fred Cushner, MD, Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery in Southside Hospital's Division of Surgery was recognized as one of Castle Connolly's Top 100 Orthopaedic Surgeons in America for 2011.
Living Life to the Fullest
Everything we do as orthopaedic specialists at Southside Hospital is designed to eliminate our patients' chronic pain and disabilities and help them regain mobility and return to active, fulfilling lifestyles.
Register for Pre Op Class
FREE joint replacement education class for anyone interested in learning more about joint replacement for those who are scheduled to undergo joint replacement surgery.
Classes will address your pre surgery, post surgery and rehabilitation needs. The class will prepare you, your family and home for this “joint” adventure. Our team of dedicated professionals will answer your questions and provide education during this presentation and are available during your hospital stay. Planning ahead can help ensure a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.
For patient convenience, we coordinate the joint class with your pre-surgical testing appointment. Contact Laura Young, Orthopaedic Nurse Manager email@example.com or (631) 968-3701.
Comprehensive Orthopaedic Services
Our nationally recognized physicians are often fellowship-trained in a wide spectrum of orthopaedic specialties:
- Foot and Ankle – Our specialists are experts in treating fractures, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, impingement sprains and tendon disorders.
- Hand and Upper Extremity – Our hand surgeons deal with problems of the hand, wrist and forearms and, often, the shoulder and elbow.
- Hip – Hip surgeons are experts at diagnosing and treating hip diseases such as osteoarthritis and hip fractures. Treatments include total and partial joint replacement.
- Knee – Knee diseases such as ligament injuries, meniscus (torn cartilage) and miscellaneous knee problems are diagnosed and treated by experienced knee surgeons. Treatments include total and partial joint replacement.
- Spine – Our spine surgeons are physicians who receive special training in the diagnosis and treatment of problems with the neck (cervical spine), mid back (thoracic spine) and low back (lumbar spine).
- Sports Medicine – Surgeons with subspecialty training in sports medicine, particularly the shoulder and knee, are skilled in minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures that can restore motion and return function for athletes. Common conditions treated are ACL tears of the knee and rotator cuff tears of the shoulder.
- Revision Surgery – The average lifespan of the prosthesis used in joint replacement surgery is 10 years. Revision surgery, often more complex that the original surgery, is needed to replace the worn out prosthetic with a new one.
- Arthroscopy Surgery – A minimally invasive procedure, arthroscopy is often used instead of traditional open surgery to give patients an easier surgical experience and a faster recovery.
Related Services include cast care, custom orthopaedic bracing, lab service, and on-site imaging.
The Rehabilitation Network of the North Shore-LIJ Health System is dedicated to providing you and your family with result-oriented, comprehensive rehabilitation services. Our goal is to help you and your loved ones find relief from pain and get moving again after an accident, illness, injury or surgery. We’re your partner in a safe, healthy, more rapid recovery.
From Western Long Island Take the Long Island Expressway to the Sagtikos Parkway South. Continue to the Southern State Parkway. Bear left at the fork. Exit to Fifth Avenue southbound (Exit 42). At the Southern State Parkway Spur, turn left, then turn right immediately onto Fifth Avenue. Continue south to Montauk Highway. Turn left. Southside Hospital is one-half mile on the left. If taking the Sunrise Highway, exit at Fifth Avenue, southbound and follow the above directions.
From Eastern Long Island Take the Long Island Expressway to the Sagtikos Parkway South and follow the above directions. From the Sunrise Highway, take Brentwood Avenue south to Montauk Highway. Turn right. The hospital is a short distance away on the right.
From Northern New York City Suburbs and Upstate New York Take I-87 south (New York State Thruway) to I-287 East. Take I-287 east (Cross Westchester Expressway), crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge, to I-95 south. Take I-95 south to I-295 (Throgs Neck Expressway and Clearview Expressway). Cross the Throgs Neck Bridge and continue south to I-495 (Long Island Expressway). Take the Long Island Expressway east, following the directions from the west.
From Southern New England Take I-95 south to I-295 and follow northern New York City suburb directions.
From Northern New Jersey Take I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike) to the George Washington Bridge. Cross the bridge, then continue on I-95 to I-295 south and follow northern New York City suburbs directions.
From Central New Jersey, Manhattan and Queens Take the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan. Take 34th Street east to the Queens Midtown Tunnel to I-495 (Long Island Expressway). Take the expressway east and follow the directions for western Long Island.
From Southern New Jersey, Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens Take I-278 to the Goethals Bridge and across Staten Island to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (left lane). Then take the Belt Parkway to the "Eastern Long Island" split and the Southern State Parkway. Continue east and follow the directions for coming to the hospital from western Long Island.
Free parking is available in the parking lot adjacent to the building.
The Long Island Rail Road provides frequent service between Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan and Bay Shore. Southside Hospital is a one-half mile walk from the train station east on Union Street. Taxis are available at the station.
The most convenient airport to Southside Hospital is Long Island's MacArthur Airport. The hospital is also accessible from John F. Kennedy International Airport and LaGuardia Airport.
These taxi companies serve Southside Hospital and surrounding communities.
- Bay Shore – Aardvark Cab Corp. (631) 665-5502
- General Island Taxi (631) 969-1562
- Tommy's Taxi Service (631) 665-4800
- Brentwood – Cherry's Limo and Airport Service (631) 434-7340
- General Island Taxi (631) 952-3450
- Greenline Taxi (631) 436-7272
- Jo-Jo's (631) 231-2442
- JT Medical Transportation (631) 273-7773
- Islip Terrace Islip Terrace Taxi (631) 277-8888
- McRides Taxi (631) 277-8100
- Central Islip C & C Taxi (631) 348-1010
- Bay Shore – Clique Limousine Service (631) 665-1285 www.cliquelimousine.com
- A Unique Rolls Royce (631) 665-7031
- N & D Limousines (631) 968-8900
- Brentwood – Acclaim Town Car Service (631) 654-0772
- Adrina Executive Limo Corp (631) 951-0610
- West Islip – Dynasty Limousine (631) 587-8500 www.dynastylimo1.com
- Lap of Luxury (631) 254-4404
- Crest Limousine Inc (631) 669-1142
- East Islip/Central Islip – A & S Limousine (631) 277-8527
- Long Island Airport Cab & Car (631) 348-7220